You’ve got questions. We’ve got answers.

For Students

You have a ton of options when it comes to choosing where you’re going to live. There are a lot of details to consider, and we want to help you in this process so that you ultimately have the greatest sense of peace and confidence on where you choose to live.

Who manages Riverwalk?

Riverwalk Townhomes are professionally managed and serviced by Eastern Property Management here in Greenville, NC. 

What is Individual Leasing?

With Individual Leases, you are only responsible for your rent. You aren’t liable for your roommates’ rent at all! Unlike a traditional lease or a joint lease, if your roommate transfers, graduates, or fails to pay his/her rent, it does not affect you or your lease. College students have enough to worry about. An individual lease is one less thing!

Do I need renter's insurance?

In our effort to create a more enjoyable living environment for the student renter, we now require all residents to carry an active renter’s insurance or tenant liability policy during their lease term. Requiring basic liability coverage has become a common practice in apartment living to provide peace of mind and protection from the unforeseen events that sometimes occur. Our required tenant liability coverage works to protect the resident from liability exposure created while your student is away from home, including but not limited to negligent damage to the apartment unit, negligent damage to another resident’s property or even injuries to guests while visiting. Or if you choose to enroll in a more robust renter’s insurance policy, you may be able to protect belongings such as text books, phones, electronics and other valuables in the event of theft or destruction. As long as your chosen policy meets the minimum coverage outlined in your lease agreement, feel free to pick any provider you feel is the best fit for you. If you don’t feel like searching for an insurance provider, we offer an easy way to enroll in the minimum liability only coverage as part of your rent payment.

Can I have my pet?

Yes! At Riverwalk, we love our pets, and we want you to bring them with you! Make sure to register with the office and be advised that pet fees, additional pet rent and breed restrictions may apply.

How and when do I pay rent?

Rent is due the first of each month, and may be paid by either a check or money order to the office or online by a debit or credit card through the Residents portal. NO CASH ACCEPTED.

What if I need something fixed?

Our professional maintenance staff would be happy to help you. You may submit a work order the following ways:

  • Visit or call the office at 252-321-3281 and a team member will enter a service request. If it is after hours, you are welcome to leave a message through our answering service by selecting the “Maintenance” option when prompted.
  • Enter a service request through the resident portal.

*For emergency requests (plumbing, nonfunctional AC/heat during weather extremes, nonfunctioning refrigerators, electrical outages, and fire) we are available 24/7! Please call 252-321-3281.

For Parents

Home away from home.

They want to live here, and you want peace of mind.
We both want what’s best for your student.

If you ever need anything from our friendly staff, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 252-321-3281.


We welcome guarantors at Riverwalk! Guarantors are not required to apply online – a member of the leasing team will send a form to your student once they have applied!


2631 Cypress View Dr, Greenville NC 27858

Call Us

(252) 321-3281

Email Us